1,492 total views, 2 views today
O Lord, revive thy work – Habakkuk 3:2; 2Chr 7:14; Psalm 85: 6
This phrase is taken from a prayer by the prophet Habakkuk. Hearing what the Lord had said, he was afraid because it involved the destruction of Judah. He prays that God will manifest His wrath upon Judah and Chaldea, but he also asks Him to be merciful. He wanted God to discipline Judah and destroy Babylon. It was a prayer for a fresh manifestation of God’s power along with a full measure of His pardon.
It seems to me that our nations of the earth are in line for the wrath of God to be manifested. If there ever was a day when a spiritual revival was desperately needed, it is now. Let’s look deep into the affairs of the Church today and consider the wickedness and rejection of God among the nations of the earth today. We need some kind of a reawakening from a state of spiritual stagnation to a fresh appreciation of God’s holiness, a passion for His Word, and a spiritual and moral renewal. Unless our nations experience a resurgence of God consciousness, moral righteousness and Christ-like living, individually and corporately, we may very soon experience the wrath of God as never before.
The key to genuine revival is prayer, humility and repentance. I used the word “genuine” because a lot of churches will have “revival meetings” without ever experiencing revival. Some of the elements that will bring the blessing of God in revival are:
- The desires to have God do in our lives individually, in our churches and in our nation what He has done in the past when revival has occurred and even more.
- This will be manifested in frequent, serious, even intense prayer. This has been the one consistent characteristic of all revivals. Suddenly, prayer becomes important and people will want to gather for special prayer. When people gather at regularly scheduled prayer meetings, there will be some who will be praying prior to the meeting; the need is so greatly sensed. When this occurs, another element that will automatically take place is a fresh sense of humility and the sense of Holiness of God. Without it, there will be no power and therefore no revival.
- There will be a strong desire for the manifestation of God’s presence and an awareness of His holiness and authority.
- Those with the longing for revival will come to God with a deep hunger in their lives.
- There must be dissatisfaction with the state of the Church in general and ourselves in particular.
- There must be willingness for God to begin His work in our lives individually as opposed to starting it in the lives of others.
- There must be a holy expectance that God can and will meet our needs individually, in our churches and in our nation. This is crucial because usually when we think of revival, we too often think of the urgent need in our nation without giving consideration to our own spiritual needs.
- There will be a new sensitivity to sin, calling sin by their proper names such as pride, disobedient, hardness of heart, stubbornness, doubt, unbelief, fear and self-pity.
- There will be a new sense relating to the fact that we cannot live the Christian life ourselves. We need God take full control of our live. There will be a new trusting in His ability to do in us and through us what He desires in our lives.
There are so many examples of personal, church and national revivals. We must understand that spiritual revival in our life preceded God’s blessing in our business and work.
No for sure, that God is not going to make every person rich as a result of revival, but there are thousands of stories of God working in the lives of people who were willing to come to the end of putting self first and putting God first.
Today I will ask you a simple question: Do you really want to see God do a work of revival in your personal life, in your local church and your nation(s)?
2Chr 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Psalm 85: 4-8 Turn us, O God of our salvation, and cause thine anger toward us to cease. Wilt thou be angry with us for ever? wilt thou draw out thine anger to all generations? Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee? Shew us thy mercy, O Lord, and grant us thy salvation. I will hear what God the Lord will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.
Psalm 119:156 Great are Thy mercies, O LORD; Revive me according to Thine ordinances.
Psalm 27:1 – The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid.
James 1:3-4 – Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Bible Focus Prayers For Sweeping Revival and Spiritual Awakening
1. Pray for God’s mercy upon our Land
Holy Father, I humbly plead for your undeserved mercy upon my life, my church, my nation and world. Lord, help us come before you with deep awareness that we deserve your judgment far more than your blessing. By Jesus’ blood alone, we plead for your merciful grace to revive and bless us once again. (Psalm 85:4-7; Lamentations 3:22; Daniel 9:18-19)
2. Pray for a spirit of Brokenness and Repentance
Righteous God, please send overwhelming conviction of sin, deep brokenness, and genuine repentance among your people. Grant to us the true Godly sorrow that leads to repentance. Fill us with Holy fear and reverence for your name. Purify the bride of Christ for His glorious second coming. Please prepare and cleanse us for the marriage supper of the Lamb of God. (Psalm 51:7; Proverbs 28:13; 2 Corinthians 7:1, 10)
3. Pray for Boldness, Holiness and Power in our Pastors
Mighty God, please come upon our pastors and our church leaders with deep repentance, dynamic power and renewed passion for you and in their live. Grant to Him a mighty wall of protection from the world, the flesh and the devil. (Timothy 3:1-2; 2 Timothy 1:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:4)
4. Pray for Fervent Prayer to Sweep our Land
Righteous God, grant to us a burning hunger for yourself and a passion for fervent prayer. Help us draw near to you and seek you with all of our hearts, soul, spirit and might. Lord, cause us to hunger and thirst for you above all else. Help us to lead our churches to become houses of prayer for all nations. (Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 5:6; Matthew 21:13; Acts 2:1; Philippians 2:13; James 4:8)
5. Pray for unity in churches and families
Holy Father, please bring us to loving unity in our churches and a deep harmony between our churches. Help us tear down the strongholds of bickering and disunity that so ravage your church. (John 13:34-35; John 15:12; John 17:20-22)
6. Pray for an Explosion of Evangelism
Gracious Lord, please fill us with a burning passion to pray for and witness to the lost.
Cause our eyes to weep for souls that we may reap in joy. (Luke 19:10; Acts 1:8; Romans 5:5; Romans 9:1-3)
7. Pray for a Passion for Missions
Righteous God, empower your people with a burning passion for local and global missions. Grant to us a fiery zeal for planting new churches. Please forgive us for our frequent lack of concern beyond “me and mine”. (Matthew 18:12; Matthew 24:14, Matthew 28:19; Luke 19:10; Acts 1:8)
8. Pray for an increase of Laborers
Lord of the Harvest; please call thousands into ministry, missions and Christian witness.
Send forth a mighty flood of laborers into the harvest field. (Matthew 9:37-38; Acts 1:8)
9. Pray for Pure Motives and Kingdom Purpose
Holy Lord, we ask you to deepen and purify our very motives in praying for revival and blessing. Lord, teach us to seek your “face” and not just your “hand”. Cause us to seek you and not just your comfort or blessing. Dear God, teach us to pray for your glory and pleasure not for our own. (Hebrews 4:12; James 4:1-4)
10. Pray for salvation and wisdom in government leaders
Holy Father, we humbly ask for a mighty move of conviction and salvation in government leaders and others who influence culture. We ask you to pour out convicting, saving power upon the land of our birth, Colleges, Universities, Media Networks and the Hollywood movie industry. We ask that you so move that millions will be converted to Christ in these strategic communities of cultural influence. (Psalm 2:8; 1Timothy 2:1-4)
11. Pray for Sweeping Revival in the Church
Righteous Lord, we ask you to send sweeping revival even if it takes hard times and great trials to prepare the soil of our hearts. Father, we pray not for shallow selfish ends, but for your great glory and Kingdom. Cause us to come to you in true humility, brokenness and contriteness of heart. (Matthew 26:39; James 4:1-4)
12. Pray for Global Spiritual Awakening and Evangelistic Harvest
Sovereign God, we ask you to rend the heavens and send forth your awesome “manifest presence.” We ask you to so move that more millions of soul in our country and the world will be saved in a single year. Cause your glory to sweep the whole earth bringing unprecedented millions to Christ. We humbly ask you to move even greater than you did in any previous awakening. Blessed God, we pray for one last great harvest before the glorious return of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Purify your bride O’ Christ, and then come Lord Jesus, come quickly! (Isaiah 64:1; Ephesians 5:26-27; Revelation 22:17, 20)